Thursday, April 7, 2011

[PYTASH] Chapter 4

I hate that I feel like I'm complaining about the chapters this time around, but I really wasn't fond of this one, either. Not because what it's telling me isn't useful information, it's just very basic. The structure went like this:

Here's the elements.
Here they are applied in a story.
Here's the structures and devices.
Here they are in a story.

If this was a book of lesson plans, then yes, I am very grateful for what she had to say. It was a good refresher, but she could have just said "hey, teach this stuff. It's good for your kids" and been on her way to something with more depth that I really need to know more about.

Yes, students need to know these things, and that is a great starting point. I am thankful to be told and reminded that X, Y, and Z are good to be taught in the classroom. I just really want to know more about the HOW to teach them. I want more classroom examples and different lessons that have taught the elements and literary devices and how they went over and what could have gone better and more teacher input on this, etc. etc. Not the definitions of the literary devices and plot structures that I already knew.

No comments:

Post a Comment