Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Chapter 8

Chapters 6, 7, and 8 have followed in perfect sequential order: pre, during, and post-reading. Chapter 8 continues Beers' wonderful use of real life examples and useful strategies to actually help students after they've read. She starts with talking about scales. The best part of this strategy, to me, is that you can't be wrong if you have a rationale. It will show if the prior strategies paid off to see if the students are understanding the text. Then she gets to a strategy to help summarize that goes "somebody" -> "wanted" -> "But" -> "So" -> "Then."

(Thursday, October 14th edit: hahaha! we used this in class today, professor. I see you've read the textbook. =P)

She then spends time on Retelling, Text Reformulation, It Says-I Say, and a bunch more wonderful things. The set up of the book is becoming easily recognizable; which, while nice, makes it hard to talk about, because I feel I'm just regurtitating to you "hey, this is what she talked about and it's cool." As an INLA major, of course it's cool! I want to do this for the rest of my life

1 comment:

kristypytash said...

Yes Matt, I have read the textbook :)

Post a Comment