Saturday, January 29, 2011

[FOOT] Oral History of the Internet

I'm just going to open by saying this article was dauntingly long. As someone who is an avid computer user and knows his web history, it took a lot of effort to keep reading through this. Started with the whole Soviet Union scare and then it was trying to get it in the home, etc. etc. I guess I'm not sure what to say because this is common knowledge in my circle of friends (yes, we are all computer geeks). Yes Microsoft has done terribly unethical things in their day, but its also completely reinvented the internet and computing as we know it. People have to do what they have to do to get things done, and I'll take innovation with a few sacrifices along the way. What I do find interesting is that they never once mentioned AOL, which was a HUGE player in the internet boom. It completely neglected it, which was a huge misstep on their take on the history of the internet, especially for it coming to the masses. AOL was vastly important to this in the early '00s.

I think knowledge like this is extremely important. As technology integrates into our lives more and more, we can't stand to be ill informed on the matter; the same as politics. The technologically uninformed will be taken advantage of, just as the politically uninformed masses are in today's society.

No comments:

Post a Comment